The Virginia Career Works – Piedmont Region has three Career Centers to serve employers in the Virginia Career Works – Piedmont Region. Services available to all Employers include:
- Interview space as requested
- Computer lab with Internet access for business use
- Facsimile and copying services
- Phone access for details on job listing
- Video conferencing availability
- Job fair assistance
- Assistance in writing job descriptions
- Post job openings on VA Workforce Connection website and in Virginia Career Works Centers
- Help post jobs in person, by phone, or in the Centers
- Facilitate the application process based on need
- Prescreening & referral of qualified applicants
- Handle call-in letters on site in coordination with VEC
- Refer participants to job openings
- Job coaching for individuals with disabilities
- Basic skills training
- Advanced skills training
- Customized training
- On-the-job training
- Coordination of incumbent worker training
- Coordination of job readiness training
- GED training available
- Labor law compliance information
- Assistance in business start-up and relocation
- Work Opportunity Tax Credit
- Workplace accommodations
- Labor market information
- Information on Veteran Services, Trade Act Services, & the Migrant Seasonal Farm Worker Program
- Information on educational and training opportunities, & financial resources
- Information on performance measures in the local area
TRAINING AND HIRING INCENTIVES
Incumbent Worker Training
Do you need to provide training and education to your workforce to increase competitiveness and drive success? Incumbent Worker Training programs provide funding assistance in the form of reimbursement to businesses to upgrade the skills of their current employees, which enhances their expertise and makes your business more competitive. These funds can be used to address changes or challenges to your business, including changes in management, new technology and/or equipment, required skill changes, or changes in job functions.
On the Job Training
With our On-the-Job Training (OJT) program, you can offset the cost of hiring and training new employees. Businesses can receive wage subsidies of up to 50% of an eligible new worker’s wages up to a maximum of $8,000 while the employee is being hired, trained, and mentored to decrease their skills gap and become fully proficient in their new job.
Are you interested in eliminating the risk of hiring an employee that doesn’t work out? Eligible work experience participants receive incentive payments directly through Virginia Career Works and are able to provide the business with up to 300 hours of labor at no cost. This minimizes the risk for the business and also provides job seekers the job readiness skills, experience, and training to be an exemplary employee.
Customized training programs are available in our region to address the ever-changing opportunities and challenges faced by businesses. Staff will work with you to design and implement custom training programs to update and improve the skills of your workforce, increase employee engagement, improve company performance, and help you achieve your organizational goals.
Building a Registered Apprenticeship with your business has many advantages for you and for your employees. Investing in Registered Apprenticeship means a commitment to the future success of your organization. The Registered Apprenticeship program in the Commonwealth of Virginia is a training system that produces highly skilled workers to meet the demands of employers competing in a global economy, through a combination of on-the-job training and classroom instruction.
Tax Credits and Other Local and State Incentives
There may be other tax credits and local or state incentive programs that your business can take advantage of if you are hiring, expanding, or making capital investment in our region and the Commonwealth. Virginia Career Works can provide you additional information on these incentives based on your business’s current situation or connect you to the right people to make it happen.
Please contact us for more information about these hiring incentives and other ways in which the Virginia Career Works – Piedmont Region can help businesses with their workforce needs:
Monica Long, Workforce Development Director
Charlottesville, VA 22911